Let the GAME Begin.

THE JOB FAIR


MAY  1, Labor day. Bithday of my dead west highland terrier dog "fifi" (+)

8:30am I woke up, for three weeks now, I've been waking up in the same time.
I'll heat up the water, drink some warm vanilla drink, grab some bread, still groggy I will try to look for my dog and give him a breakfast. If I'm still hungry, i'll make some noodles.

I will open the television, search for some interesting show, after that get some shower head out.

But today is different. today is the day i'll sell myself and be productive.

It's a bit chilly morning it's been raining on and off for the past days, I think the summer drought has ended and the leaves and trees are greener.

I took a cab and went to a jobs fair.

WOW.

Diverse people crowding in long lines, thank god for hiding the sun, I went around, observing. checking the bulletin boards for openings, from local to overseas and nothing fits me. The number of people are surprisingly huge. This are the players, the unemployed. I don't know if i'm glad or worried about the fact that most of the people here may not have a chance to get hired (including me hehe) maybe just a 10% chance.

As I was looking around outside, I noticed some of my classmates in college days. Frustrated in a way.
Benjie the dude with a lot of honors was telling me that if his target is not met, last resort would be a call center agent.

Call Center Agent. my brother is one. It's a decent work but not a job. you can survive in it. I'm not against call centering because it's a very comprehensible work, with good benefits and all. Kirk is an Agent, some of my pals are agents. Come to think of it, most of the people I know is an Agent.

But I'm not looking for comprehensible work. I'm looking for a JOB, where I can grow, where I can set foot on my future objectives, and help me in the field for the future.

I went out of the convention center, went to SM 3-day sale job fair.

There are fewer people, less booth and organized set. good enough I said.


"Communication Manager" that caught my eye, under country club, an infamous hotel, maybe trying to apply may not be a bad idea after all.

I went to the booth, greeted the personnel in charge, placed my game face, logged my name and gave my resume.

"We will just call you, thank you"

That's it? I told myself, All they need is my resume? No chit-chat? wow, that is something, I haven't even got a chance to warm my seat.

"Okay, thank you!" (*shake hands)

that was pretty easy.

As I was about to go and pounder in hopelessness A saw another word on this big tarpaulin, "Marketing Communication, Public Relations preferably in layout, design, advertisement, and so on and so forth.

I checked my yellow folder, Yes I still got an extra resume

Lesson Number 1

  1. Always make an extra copy of your resume, if your applying for 2 jobs print 4 resume.
  2. Bring a pen. that's your ammo for emergency form writing
  3. It's not important to bring with you your photo. People tend to look at your face than your skills.
  4. Lastly, smile and enjoy.
  5. p.s. be honest.
  6. how can i remove this bullet?
  7. dang!
oh, double enter. sorry about that.//



so I went to the booth, and did the same thing. but. she interviewed me.
It's was not scary after all. and i must say she's impressed.
I did talk a lot, shared a couple of things but one question strikes me the most.

"How well did you work if under pressure?"

Wow, pressure is in my system baby, As I looked back, I got a handful of life and death pressure points in my career and trust me pressure and me are like best buddies.

I did not actually said that, but that's what's running in my mind.

Working under pressure, I have a very good time management skill, I can balance my time internally or external. I can  multi-task, I'm'ma optimist, flexible and well rounded individual, so dealing with pressure is like part of everyday life.

And I had fun, telling all about my key attributes.

Oh, yeah she did ask me if I want to be a supervisor or a manager. I told her any would do.

and I'm off for the second interview.

Well if your gonna ask me if what will i do next? I don't really know for sure. Come what may.

Unahan nalang ang UB, SM, Country Club, ABS-CBN.

for now, i'll just relax. enjoy my vacation and be a bum. i will surely miss this.


So my fellow players, hunters. This MAY 10 2010, will be a very big decision for our country, choose wisely for the next president,
 ewan ko nalang, hindi maganda ang sitwasyon ng employment. I can now see this things better than before.

I know, It's hard to hope, hold on to that. It's the only thing we can count on than nothing.


so cheers!

guillermo ocampo

Comments

Popular Posts