Maninger-Z at 88




He is one strong mothafakaa!!!

My Grandafather (Father side) just turned 88 last December 31. The God father of the Ocampo clan, that old timer is still kicking hard. We always jokingly said that he still has a boner for women. God that was an awesome gift.

Kidding aside, Our "Lolo Maning" is not the world's greatest grandfather, he does not hug you, kiss you, or even play with you. He was just there.



My uncle said that he was not a affectionate type. If you "bless" (a sign of respect) we will abide and nod. He like to live alone most of the time and watch eat bulaga during lunch, goes out on a motorcycle ride if he got bored, take a tour at his farm. He has an active lifestyle, he regularly goes to church, take his morning walks and sometimes goes to Baguio to visit his sons.

Although his a bit, keen when it comes to financial matters, he like to keep it personal and a bit thrifty. That's why some criticize him for being so stingy. Well. What can we do right, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

When I was a child, I went with lolo in his ever so huge farm,
He said to me
"would you like to manage this farm"
I said
Hell Naw! I dont want to be a farmer!

He laughed.

I'm still a kid for crying out loud!


We were never close, I think he don't like me much when I was a kid, I often hide whenever he is around. He does not like kids. Specially the naughty ones like me.
Most often he has this stick, ready to whip to any noisy kid around his range.
He was a mean.

We usually see him during Christmas break, whenever my Dad decide to visit his hometown on Pampanga. I don't feel I'm welcomed in my grandfathers home. I'm not really sure why. I'd rather stay home in Baguio with my mom.

As I was growing older, There was never a chance I got to really know him, not until last year when I stayed at his home for a month.

He is a very kind person that would like to be left alone. (if that make sense)
He loves to watch TV, specially the noon time show. He likes it when I edit his pictures and print tarps, or paint on his walls and do some art around his old shirts.

He like art and I'm and artist. We got to share things in common

To my one and only Grandpa.

May you reach past 100 years! Stay strong!
(although sometime I need to raise my voice whenever I talk to you)

Cheers for a long life!

Happy Birthday!
guillermo ocampo

Comments

Popular Posts